I’ve been doing some reading around with a view to pushing this hard in the training I do and thought I would share some of the bits and bobs I have found. Obviously this stuff is tied to the UK legislation on this kind of thing so anything from other countries would be welcome. In the meantime here are some good resources.
- Health and Safety Executive: The HSE are the* ‘enforcing authority’ *for health and safety in the UK. They have a number of documents of interest. These include INDG360 or to give its full title: Health and safety in video production: Your legal duties. And ETIS22: Safe filming and recording in motor vehicles.
- The NUJ report cites the BBC health and safety form as an example of best practice
- BBC – DV lighting safety course. An online course that covers the basics of setting up lighting.
- BECTU – Health and safety. Bectu are a UK union “for those working in broadcasting, film, theatre, entertainment, leisure, interactive media and allied areas” The health and safety section includes pdf’s of their Craft Cards – little reminders of health and safety stuff for different parts of the business – including one for location work and camera crews.
- Transmission TX Ltd . TTX are a UK based rental & facilities outfit who have an excellent health and safety policy on their website. The short version is cracking but the longer on, just as valuable.
I’ll add more as I find them.