BBC allow embedded video
See that video above? That’s video from the BBC website. Video from the BBC on my blog. How cool is that?
That’s right. You can now embed BBC video in to your own site with T&C’s
- This is for use on your personal website
- Use the supplied code and don’t edit the video or audio
- The BBC can remove the content without notice
- The BBC makes this content available at your own risk
- Don’t put this content on sites that contain illegal or offensive material
- Users accessing the video from outside the UK may see an error message
- The embedding of BBC content is not a BBC endorsement of your website
You could say that given the whole license fee issue that it’s about time we got to use some of the content that we pay for. But, in reality, this kind of thing is never straight forward.
Here is what the BBC’s John O’Donovan had to say:
It’s taken a while because there have been a huge number of tricky little issues to sort out and most of these have been complex business issues around rights, terms and conditions, etc… But at last through the fog, a simple and subtle change finally emerges.
It’s a nice implementation as well – clean and simple.The feature has been launched on the Technology section of the site, which is a smart move in itself. Of course the next step is to see how the rest of the industry reacts to this.
What’s the betting on a negative reaction?
Thanks to @jowadsworth and @Zee for the tweet that pointed to this.